Bruxism, the medical term for teeth grinding and jaw clenching, affects both kids and adults. While often caused by high levels of stress, bruxim can also be triggered by a misaligned bite and sleep disorders. Regardless of your underlying issue, here are a few tips and tricks to help:
- Take Notice – throughout the day notice if you’re clenching or grinding. Take a few deep breaths and place the tip of your tongue between your teeth. This helps the muscles in your jaw relax.
- Stop Chewing – on non-food items that is! Pencils, ice, etc. This also includes avoiding gum because it trains your jaw to clench and encourages teeth grinding.
- Cut Back – Avoid foods with added sugar, especially for children. Adults may find drinking alcohol intensify their condition. Cutting out liquor and limiting caffeine is recommended.
- Relax! – Especially before bedtime. Take a long bath, listen to mellow music, find what works best for you and enjoy it.
- See Your Dentist – It’s important to be properly diagnosed. We’ll partner together to find the best treatment plan for your wellbeing! Call and schedule an exam today (731) 632-3371
Adamsville Family Dentistry
518 East Main
Adamsville, TN 38310
Phone: (731) 632-3371